Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Simplicity


Author's Note: I wrote this piece about art that I saw at the Milwaukee Art Museum. I had much difficulty trying to write about some of the art pieces that had clear symbolism or that were visually interesting so I chose one of the least complex pieces there. I don't recall the name of the piece or the artist but it was a blank canvas with some dark smudges around it's edges and then a slash down the middle of it. I thought that this piece didn't mean anything but the longer I thought about the clearer it's message came to me. I thought that this piece could mean that simplicity is nearly impossible we always have problems to convey this message I wrote three paragraphs and a short poem!

Simplicity is nearly impossible. We are only human our lives become polluted with our daily problems and are no longer simple but now are complicated. These problems come and go and we are always scared with the past of what happen yesterday, or last year. Theses problems imprint our lives and can destroy us.

Someone once said "Life is simple, we make it complicated." They are right if we didn't care what other people thought of us or just wanted to live life we would have no problems and our life would be simple but we are human problems always occur and we can't avoid it.

If we could avoid problems many people would. Me for one wouldn't problems add interest to our lives and they give us a goal that we want to reach and a reason to live. A simple life is easier but not as interesting and is impossible to achieve.


Darkness floods in
A million problems
Pollute our minds
Simplicity is far away

We are scared.
Problem after problem
Come and go
But always leave something behind
A scar in our heart
In our mind

Problems---
Bring out the best in us
They fill our life’s with something worth living for

5 comments:

  1. I really liked how you had an introduction of sorts in the beginning of your poem. I don't necessarily agree with you about how a simple life would be boring. Simple life's don't necessarily avoid problems, it means that you get over them quickly. I think of having a simple life as being purely innocent, like a really little kid. When you're a little kid you don't ever have to worry about anything, and your life is simple. When you have problems they are brief and you move on quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you are trying to use some different forms here. I would say though that you need to be careful not to leave silly errors like run-ons in the prose as it detracts from the message, especially if the message is a difficult, or deep thought. Interesting the way you shifted to poetry. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the message of this whole piece, and it is clearly conveyed throughout it. I think your poem has an interesting layout and a very strong theme, thus making it enjoyable to read. However, I do think that by using some more puncuation, the paragraphs would flow easier, and would tie the whole thing together. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your thought of this and it would be cool to see the piece! I agree that punctuation would help it flow better, but I really like the combination of the poem and paragraphs. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was cool how you got that all from a simple painting.I agree with some of the things you said, but others not so much. It was really cool how you tied everything together, the authors note which was very helpful, the paragraphs and the poem. Sometimes it seemed like you contridicted yourself though. Good job:)

    ReplyDelete